Current Events

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Go Beyond Your Limits at Least Once in Life

Sitting together with friends we were talking about - miracles. The friend revealed he was one of view people who have ever been cured (and not just symptom free) from Hepatitis. I was astounded. He was invited to interviews, the medical world was interested what he had been up to in order to make this happen. His humble words were that he had chosen the right things by chance. I heard in between lines that he had committed himself to leaving his comfort zone and following his intuition. Most of all, he believed in miracles.

We agreed that doing something beyond your own limits truly chances your life. I was thinking about my own choice to do something way beyond my wildest dreams: about exactly 10 years ago I decided to go on a pilgrimage all the way through Northern Spain. If people asked me why I would want to walk 500 miles by myself through a country of which I barely spoke the language of. I had no answer. I only felt called and I sensed that something meaningful was waiting for me on the other side. When I followed the calling I was still a psychologist in Vienna. I was holding multiple jobs down and volunteer positions, which made my work weeks some 80 hours long, my heart was still broken from an ended relationship. I was drained from the stories of my oncological patients and from the thousands of callers on the Helpline phone. Things looked grim. Things were not as I had imagined them to be when I started to study psychology in order to help people. For some reason I had enough left in me to follow that hunch and to get myself ready for the hike. It took me 1,5 years to carve out 6 weeks in order to be away from work. I also had to prove to myself that I had a chance at this physically and trained for and ran a half marathon a year before I embarked on my journey to Spain. I remember thinking that this was one of the last REAL adventures that there are. I was scared, but I was going.

I did it! One step at a time. Someone once calculated that it takes one million steps to make that journey. With every step I became more what I wanted to be in this life.

After this trip I have never been the same. Not only did I meet my now husband on the very first day, I moved from Vienna, Austria to San Diego, California (we still live part time in Austria), I became a Life Coach (which is so much more what I had always wanted to do), but there is something about going beyond the known, beyond your own limits. I was in awe to see what I was capable of, I also have a deep sense of a truth to the saying that life rewards the ones who dare. I left so much behind on that journey, many fear, worries, limitations, judgements even, certainly many tears and old wounds.

I can only encourage each and every one of you to find something, anything that is a true challenge to you and give yourself the gift to tackle it. You are of so much more capable than you would think you are. And it feels SOOOO good to do it. Enjoy the journey, I am there, cheering you on!

No comments:

Post a Comment